Sunday, November 11, 2018

7. MORE MUSICAL FILMS??!

At the end of my last post, I referenced that I wanted to give some opinions about how I felt about The Greatest Showman.

This will not be that post.
I'll hold off on that analysis for another day :)

In the meantime, I might as well give some recommendations/a top ten of films in the musical genre that I througoughly enjoyed.


1. Mamma Mia!


This film is a collection of music from musical group ABBA,  including "Dancing Queen" and "Mamma Mia". This film is about a girl (Amanda Seyfried)  who invited her three possible dads (Colin Firth, Pierce Brosnan, and Stellan SkarsgĂ„rd)  to her wedding behind her mothers (Meryl Streep) back; the mom had slept with these three men around the same time of the daughter's conception.

2.Grease


This classic film is about lovers Danny Zuko (John Travolta) and Sandy Olsson (Olivia Newton-John) and their interactions amongst their friend groups.  Contains famous songs such as "Grease Lightning", "Beauty School Dropout", and "Oh Sandy".

3. Into the Woods

 

This film took the Broadway musical and adapted it into a large scale film with some of the biggest names in Hollywood.  James Cordon, Maryl Streep, Anna Kendrick, Chris Pine, and Johnny Depp star in this movie, all of them providing vocals to this musical masterpiece about intertwined stories.

4. West Side Story


Although I discussed this film in my last post, this is still a fantastic film that inspires many films to this day (ironic because it was inspired by another work).  This film is about how disagreements can ultimately lead to some sympathy towards other parties, and brings to light the prominence of racial slurs and gang violence in New York (at the time).

5. The Sound of Music


This film is hands down one of my favorite musical films.  Julie Andrews (Maria) has a fantastic performance, and sings catchy songs with the Von Trapp children.  This film is a classic in the musical film scene because of songs such as "The Sound of Music",  "My Favorite Things", and "Sixteen Going on Seventeen". 

6. Bohemian Rhapsody

Image result for bohemian rhapsody film

The most recent prominent musical film is Bohemian Rhapsody.  This film is a celebration of Freddie Mercury (Rami Malek) and his band entitled Queen.  Famous songs such as "Somebody to Love", "Under Pressure", and "Bohemian Rhapsody" are played throughout the film. 


I am very excited for more musical films to appear in theatres (hopefully sooner rather than later). When I view more films of this genre, I will leave an in depth opinion of what I thought of the film :)


Have a great week :)
-J

No comments:

Post a Comment