Wednesday, February 13, 2019

Music Marketing Project

                    For this project, my group and I were given three songs to select for the project. We chose "Float On" by Modest Mouse.  The goal of the presentation was to create an entirely new identity for the band and create a marketing plan to release this song to the public.  Using merchandise, a website, and social media accounts my group and I created a plan to present to the class on how we would introduce this new band to the world, using the song we chose as our first single.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSEsMpMxkg4  <------------ Listen to "Float On" here!

                    The research my team and I gathered reflected exactly how we would bring out the band, called GLOWE, to the public.  By analyzing other bands of the alternative rock genre, my group saw that other bands such as Weezer and the Smiths would market themselves as "weird" and "different". These are typical conventions of the alt. rock genre and help separate them from other genres such as rock, who have similar sounds. Vinyl is additionally a distribution tool that we discovered alternative rock fans consume; we added them to the other platforms we would promote our music on (such as Spotify, Apple Music, and Amazon Prime Music).

                    Some additional marketing schemes my group created included websites and a music video used to promote the song. 

The GLOWE website can be found here: bit.ly/glowe-band



Our website included some tabs that were for tour dates, a photo gallery, an about page, and a store. These tabs offer more insight into who GLOWE is, in an attempt to connect the audience to the band.  We also created a Music Video for our song to make the audience have a specific emotion or attitude towards our song and band. 

Music Video Link: 


                    This marketing project has made me really appreciative and understanding of the tedious work that real marketing teams undergo when working on a project.  Lots of hours go into creating an idea that will attract the target audience in a timely manner to consume the product.  I'm excited to log my thought process in my portfolio and start my journey to create my final project.

No comments:

Post a Comment