Wednesday, April 1, 2020

(#30) - Editing Day #4, what a beach the beach is!

Here's the problem with filming on the beach. There are no obstructions here, so there is nothing to block the wind. The wind, my friends, was a problem. A problem that Luis and I predicted. With my wind cover equipped to my external microphone, nothing stood in between the filming and the final audio quality. 


Alas, we were bamboozled.

Having not been as familiar with the setup I was working with, I was not familiar with gain. The wind was so intense that I turned it up incredibly high. This oversight caused the audio to pick up a plethora of unintended wind that overwhelmed our audio file.

Of course, Luis and I could not predict this outcome. All we foresaw was that we should use only the audio from the external microphone as the internal mic of the camera would be lackluster. We agreed halfway through the production day that we should, in fact, turn on both the internal mic and external mic (which was smart). Fortunately, in post-production, we discovered a miracle...

Bless the beach!

Waves are so chaotic, they are beneficial. Because of how they vary in their sounds, it is easy to put clips together because the waves hide the drastic cuts in the sound. The volume of the waves additionally adds to the ambient sounds of the beach environment that made the scene so much easier to edit. I discovered this halfway through the editing process as a way to ease the stress on my shoulders...

Bamboozled 2, electric boogaloo

Because of the audio being recorded externally, every single clip from the first half of the scene had zero audio attached to it. For about thirty minutes I edited dialogue together without hearing what they were saying. I had the script in my lap and the videos played on repeat, hoping and praying that I was able to get the scene perfectly edited for Luis to go in and micro. I attempted to match the external files to these silent scenes, in order to make the editing process easier on myself. There were now advancements in the edit of this scene! Some audios matched instantly while others needed some adjusting.

With that, I handed off the edit to Luis for micro editing. I was very general with Bryce's elimination at the end of the scene as Luis enjoys making fun cuts between characters in intense moments, indicative of the running montage in scene #2. After working, this is what we ended with:




Till Next Time, Have a Great Day!




No comments:

Post a Comment