Saturday, March 2, 2019

Character Development

I just watched this video earlier about an artist creating a character for a friend's show. It stimulated my thoughts about my own characters and how I would develop them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhBqCe7N5sc

Kuro, the artist, described the character Gargamel that he was asked to design. Kuro's first step in designing his character is gathering information on them. He learns that Gargamel is ape-like, youthful, he wears a short sleeve hoodie, has shaggy hair, has a tail, and has boxer tape around his hands.  Using this description, Kuro was able to create a physical embodiment of his character.

After he acquires this information, Kuro goes on to draw multiple sketches of faces for the character before he starts designing the body. Obviously, this can't correlate to my project because I'm not going to be sketching my characters, but I think that Kuro has the right idea of approaching how a character looks.



Definitely for my male character I want him to have these main traits:

1. Male
2. Aged 14-17
3. Green colors
4. Nice hair (but kind of unkempt)
5. Around 5 9' - 5 11'
6. Average build and features

                    Let me break these down. I definitely want my main character to be a guy (which I have established in a previous post). I also have decided I want my character to be in high school, so around the ages of 14-17.  I mentioned the color green because I want my character to be very grounded and honest and full of life.  He is not gifted in intelligence (blue) or emotionally driven and passionate (red) but he is full of life and has a positive energy that radiates with him wherever he goes.  I also think the hair of the character is important because if it is long and unkempt it makes him seem very relaxed but also not especially motivated; I want him to desire fitting into societal norms (which is shorter hair), but I think that not gelling his hair and letting it sit however it wants will show that he takes into account what others view of him but he also is confrontational and friendly.  I also think that having the boy be the average male height of around 5 10' so that he fits more of that more societal norm of not "standing out". This is similar to his physical build and features, which should indicate his "normalcy" in comparison to the other guys he knows.


                    Okay, I'm gonna take back what I said about not sketching my characters.
I simply couldn't resist just sketching them out and seeing which costume I favored more.



I sketched an image of the blue jeans colored in and one not colored in.  Also, the asterisked points under the images show that I don't know what color undershirt I want the character to have, but I know I want the green outer layer with the cuffed jean look. I also like the converse because they will make the character seem younger and provide emphasis on the film being set in high school.  When I search for actors I think that asking people if they wear converse will help me distinguish which actor will play the role; it'll save me money!

I'm going to ponder about whether I want the short-sleeve button or the unzipped hoodie for the next week and I'll come back to my blog with my decision!

                                         - Jake

TODAY'S HERO: GREEN ARROW (Oliver Queen)




Back Story:
Oliver Queen was abandoned on a deserted island and was forced to learn archery in order to survive on the island. (This is only one of the origin stories that "Ollie" receives, but this is his most popular). 

Powers:
Obviously, The Emerald Archer, Green Arrow,  is a skilled bowman.  In addition to this, Queen is skilled in martial arts and does use some technology in his arrows to make them applicable to multiple situations.

Other:
- Oliver Queen is the owner of Queen Industries and is a celebrity of Star City (where he is located).
- The character has lost his wealth in some renditions and became a street crusader
- His son takes over the mantel of Green Arrow in future comics, but Oliver Queen takes the title back

Comic Book Origin:
- First appeared in More Fun Comics #73 (1941) alongside his sidekick, Speedy

Movie History:
- Oliver Queen has not appeared in any live-action films, but he does have a television show on The CW where he is played by Stephen Amell (series is called Arrow (2012-Present)) 

No comments:

Post a Comment