Monday, March 18, 2019

The Good News, and The Bad News.

I always like to hear the good news first so...

I finished my script! Here is a link to my google document to read it:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ExlxGpaoIqO8qVoiyzTmVqH2a6uH9C1ZRBuUJRneaJs/edit?usp=sharing

I also read through the piece with 2:10 as my max time and IT WORKED PERFECTLY! In addition, I printed 2 copies of the script, one for me, one for Ivan's character, and one for Mr. Carmichael's character.



One of the story pieces that did not carry from my initial storyboard was Ivan's superpower of telekinesis.  I really wanted to prioritize the conversation about helping people and setting up that there are some people that are simply unreceptive of kindness.  There wasn't enough room for the section of him demonstrating his power, so I cut it.  Instead, I thought to make the "superpower" element the power of kindness would fit the conversationalist nature of the story better than the ridiculous power of moving objects with your mind.  However, I can still poke at superhero film conventions throughout the film such as the love interest, set up for the villain, and a montage where the lead character practices with his powers.

My plan is now to film today after school and after school on Thursday so that I can use one of my teacher's classrooms as my set. I sent her an email and in it, I asked her if I could borrow her room:



The background is black because I have a dark mode on my mac, but otherwise, I hope that this statement is convincing enough to let me use the space.


Unfortunately, here comes my problem.

I foresaw that my Dad would play the character because it would be "convenient" for me, but he can't film today after school, only tomorrow and not until after 4 PM.  My actor for Ivan can't film at that time, so I texted multiple people and haven't gotten a response quite yet.

However, if I can't acquire a new actor for Ivan, I have a failsafe. I'm an actor so I could always jump in and play that role.

For filming, I called my close friend who is very comfortable with a camera and I asked if it was possible for him to film for me and he said that he was (thank goodness).  I think that this might simply be the best option for me because I know the pacing of my lines so it would be easier for me to fit the time limit.  I also would have chemistry with the teacher character because it is my dad, and we are very sarcastic with each other, just like some of the interactions between Mark and Mr. Carmichael.

I would be credited as Director, Actor, Writer, and Editor, my dad would be credited as one of the Actors, and I would have a credit for Luis, who is hopefully going to be my cinematographer.


Phew. I'm glad that problem's solved. Now I just have to film this.















                                       - Jake


TODAY'S HERO: THE WASP (Janet Van Dyne)

Related image

Backstory:
She is the wife of Hank Pym, the creator of the miraculous "Pym Particle" that can alter the size of objects by reducing the space between atoms. She accompanies him on missions in a suit similar to the Ant-Man's, called The Wasp.

Powers: 
The Wasp has the same powers as Ant-Man (shrinking and growing herself and other objects).  However, The Wasp also has the power of flight, which gives her a large tactical advantage in combat.

Other:
The mantle of the Wasp (in the films) has been held by two people. Janet Van Dyne was the original "Wasp", but her daughter, Hope Van Dyne, also wears the outfit and fights alongside the Ant-Man.

First Appearance:
- Tales to Astonish #44 (1963)

Film Appearances:
 - Janet Van Dyne and Hope Van Dyne have each appeared in two films, Ant-Man (2015) as well as Ant-Man and The Wasp (2018) (Janet played by Hayley Lovitt and Michelle Pfeiffer) (Hope played by Evangeline Lily)

1 comment:

  1. Who is this Luis person? I hear tales of his mastery of the cinematographic craft are told through the great lands..Will he be good enough to fulfill his task? Is he free on Sunday? Is he flexible enough to get the right angle? Will he be victorious in slaying the dragon? Will this comment ever end? Find out on the final episode of "The Chronicles of Luis: Assistant Cinematographer".

    ReplyDelete