Sunday, March 8, 2020

(#15)- let's go to the beach, beach (Production Day 1)

I think this video shows my thought process for our first day of production:


We filmed the third challenge, where Bryce gets eliminated. This video shows when Andrew and Miranda take a stand against him. My reaction......not only is it priceless, but it shows how much fun we had on set!!

Here's how the day went:

1:05 PM: Luis drove to my house to pick up a table and a costume for Andrew. I texted Luis specifically where he could find each item. I said:

"purple hoodie: Center shelf in Closet
cargo shorts: bottom drawer of closet; there should be a few options for colors
geeky shoes: blue nike tennis shoes w/ white soles: underneath shirts on right-hand side of closet"

2:45 PM: As I was leaving my house with my actors for Miranda and Isabella, I saw frantic texts from Luis in a panic exclaiming that he could not find a table in my garage like I had thought. I told him to ditch the table so that we could meet at our filming location at an appropriate time.

3:30 PM: I had made to John Lloyd State Park with my actresses. Luis, as he was picking up our Andrew and Bryce, arrived shortly thereafter.

3:40 PM: The six of us set up base camp. Luis adjusted our camera to the appropriate settings, the actors went to a nearby restroom on the beach to change, and I arranged the set. As we didn't have our table like planned, I stumbled (literally) on a large piece of decayed palm tree that I placed on a beautiful piece of driftwood that protruded from the beach.


Now that this problem had been conquered, I didn't have to move a muscle until another one became apparent. I had already purchased different covers for my microphone (see post (#9)) predicting that there would be wind in outdoor scenes. I felt the wind in my hair, so there was no question that the dead cat microphone cover was what topped our mic. What I failed to realize was that I could not plug in my headphones or send power to the microphone while it was screwed onto the main tripod. Fortunately, Luis's supplies included tape and scissors, sparking an ingenious idea. 

 
Using my gimble for my personal vlogging camera (that we planned to use for b-roll), we unscrewed my green tripod off of my setup and attached it to the microphone. We had access to both the audio input, which became occupied by my headphones, and the power input which we plugged into Luis's phone using a converter. We taped this contraption to the legs of our spare tripod, creating our ratchet boom pole!!

4:30 PM: Building the boom pole took a long time in addition to familiarizing our actors with their setting and their lines. This was the first time they were all together so we used this opportunity to share our vision of the scene.

5:00 PM: After more camera corrections and managing our actors, we were ready to begin filming.  As the actors had only read the script a handful of times, in between shots they were able to review their next lines. As Luis did not have a voice recording application on his phone, I had downloaded the first software I could find on the Google Play Store and installed it. I quickly figured out how the application functioned then began acquiring footage. The shots from this camera were beautiful and were even capable of capturing reflections from the sun as it descended behind the tree line. Luis and I hadn't 100% confirmed who would be our cinematographer and who would be our sound person, but it was only natural he held the camera because he was familiar with its hardware and I steadied the boom pole as it was my hardware. During the filming process, I was climbing up on the driftwood that scattered the shoreline and cut my ankles against the dry wood. After applying some salt water, we were rocking and rolling with production yet again.

6:21 PM: This was the climax of our filming day. All six of us on set anticipated the moment where Bryce would be pushed into the ocean. We rehearsed it, we brought towels. It was time. At 6:21 we captured the footage seen at the top of this blog post. Everyone was thrilled. 

6:30 PM: I was the one that called "THAT'S A RAP ON DAY ONE!" Luis definitely said it before be, but he shouted it and I screamed it, therefore I will claim that recognition. Ironically, this did not mean we were done for the day. Luis brought out VR goggles so we could take pictures of the cast in costume on set. 



6:50 PM: After a long day, Me, Luis, and our actors packed up our equipment in our cars and we left day one of production!

What an exciting day!! Valedictorian is coming together better than I ever could have imagined. We had so much fun today—I'm stoked for all of our actors to be together tomorrow morning!! Hopefully, me scraping my ankles was a one-time event over the course of our production days. Can't wait for tomorrow when we do our next day of filming!!


Till next time, Have a great day,



No comments:

Post a Comment